“Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.” - Franklin D. Roosevelt
In a workplace, ask any employee whether they are happier working or not working; chances are that most of them will reply with the latter. This is because many of us associate happiness with the absence of having to work - which is why we look forward to weekends and dread through the weekdays. However, imagine if you could enjoy 5 days of the week instead of only 2! Well, it’s not rocket science really; you can simply achieve this by turning your workplace into a happy place. How to do that? Well first, we have to understand what factors influence happiness at the workplace and then work on them. These factors may include salary, mental health, workplace equality, inclusiveness, the availability of comfortable and ergonomic furniture, workplace location, and overall work environment. Ultimately, though, no matter your work circumstances, happiness is an inside job!
Here’s what the blueprint of a happy work environment should look like
Just because your workplace conditions are not exactly conducive to your happiness, they shouldn’t be allowed to determine your mood. The external factors maybe beyond our control, but we can always make changes in that which is within ourselves. Nobody can unmake your happiness without your consent. Here are a few tips that will help you find happiness at work.
- 1. Learn to say NO - Sustaining a job itself is a tough job. But that does not mean you should say yes to every task thrown at you. Doing every given work in fear of displeasing your peers will eventually take a toll on your self esteem and make you feel miserable. When you are overloaded with work or are bestowed with something that is simply out of your KRA, just politely decline. This will raise your self-worth and make you feel good about yourself.
- 2. Stop Overthinking - Many of us are apprehensive about our career choices and we keep thinking of ‘that’ other option which we could have chosen over ‘this’. The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. So instead of playing victim to your own decisions, let go of the unchangeable past and try to focus over the positive side of your present. Keep in mind that every hardship in your life has only made you wiser & stronger than before – a good enough reason to make you happy!
- 3. Consider challenges as learning opportunities – At every stage of our life we are presented with a new set of challenges, that’s essentially how life works. Likewise, you need not be deterred by workplace challenges - they are not meant to pull you down, but rather prepare you for the greater opportunities. Understand this and you will happier.
- 4. Avoid the negative coworkers – Some workplaces may have employees who spread negative opinions and attitudes throughout the office. It's important to learn how to handle this negativity so you can remain positive and motivated to complete your work. You should remain professional at all times and politely decline from engaging in conversations involving negative topics. This can not only help you look professional, focused and positive to your manager and other employees but will also raise your status in your own eyes. This does not mean you avoid people in general rather you can focus on building positive relationships with like-minded individuals. This way, you have something to look forward to a work each day.
- 5. Request for an ergonomic seating arrangement to be made available to you- Never underestimate the power of good office furniture. A slightly bent chair is enough to ruin your day, and your back too. If your offices don’t have comfortable furniture, convince your boss to at least buy an ergonomic chair and explain how it will only boost productivity and assists in focus eventually helping the company.
- 6. Reward yourself – After every accomplishment, reward yourself with either your favorite food or by shopping for an item you need/like. This way you are acknowledging your hard work and inculcating a sense of achievement – both of which are favorable for long term happiness.
You will start enjoying work once you change the way you view your workplace. There are so many things you can achieve for yourself when you start working in your own favor. So go for it, your quest to happiness begins now! HNI India is one of the leading office furniture manufacturers in India. Our aim is to contribute toward workplace happiness which we strive to achieve by offering best in class ergonomic and comfortable office furniture. Through our HNI India eStore, you can even buy office chairs online and get them delivered to your doorstep. To know more, explore the HNI India website, today.